Domestic Violence is a Parsons Problem
Every year in Parsons there are nearly 200 misdemeanor and felony aggravated domestic violence assaults. Reduce these domestic violence crimes and the violent crime rate in Parsons plummets. Parsons doesn't have a street crime problem; it has a partner-on-partner violence problem.
With a 22.5% poverty rate, the community is at risk of family violence for a host of socio-economic challenges. That can translate into drug, child abuse and domestic violence.
Economic development is our community's #1 crime prevention program.
Kansas DV Factoids:
1. Our closest source for a safehouse program and for domestic violence services is located in Pittsburg. This one agency services 7 counties in SE Kansas.
2. More than 70,000 people receive help each year from Kansas sexual and domestic violence victim advocacy organizations.
3. More than 44,350 crisis hotline calls are answered by the Kansas Crisis Hotline every year.
4. Over 3,570 people find refuge in safe shelters across Kansas resulting in more than 88,900 shelter bed nights provided.
KANSAS CRISIS HOTLINE: 888-END-ABUSE ' 888-363-2287
5. Approximately 1 in 4 women in the U.S. have experienced severe physical violence by an intimate partner at some point in their lifetime.
See It! Hear It! Report It! Help break the cycle of violence in your community.