Safe Exchange Zone
The Parsons Police Department offers the community a Safe Exchange Zone. The Police Department's Lobby at 217 N Central Ave and two dedicated parking stalls are located on Crawford Avenue North of the Police Department building; each area is under 24-hr recorded video surveillance.
The Safe Zone idea was initially designed for safe child custody exchanges between co-parents and has evolved to include e-commerce transactions, e.g., Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, etc.
We encourage everyone to use the Safe Exchange Zone for custody exchanges and transactions. Overwhelmingly exchanges and transactions are trustworthy and well-intentioned citizens. We hope the Safe Exchange Zone assists in completing the community's exchanges and transactions without fear of violence or criminal activity.
- The Safe Exchange Zone applies to legal transactions only.
- Making transactions on Police Property does not guarantee your safety.
- No reservations are required. The marked stalls are first come, first serve but know all Northside parking stalls are under recorded video surveillance.
- For added visibility and security, the Police Department's Lobby is available.
- In case of an emergency dial 9-1-1.
- Non-emergencies, routine questions and requests for an officer to be present can be directed to (620)421-7060.
- Attending Officers typically will NOT involve themselves in the exchange/transaction. They do NOT broker transactions, confirm identities, or check items' authenticity or status. The Officers are only there to make sure you're safe.
- Consider meeting only during daylight hours and a friend accompanying you.
- Insist on meeting in a public space - like the Safe Exchange Zone.
- Ensure you bring your cell phone if you have one.
- Trust your instincts and always be aware of your surroundings.
- Ensure to ask for proof of the buyer's/seller's identity.
- Consider using something other than check or cash; prearrange an electronic transfer, e.g. Venmo, PayPal, Zelle, etc. - and only transfer funds with the merchandise physically present, and the deal confirmed.
- Sellers should look for counterfeit money or forged checks, while buyers should be wary of stolen, broken, or fake goods.
- Don't make it evident if you carry cash before or after the transaction.
- Beware common check scams, like checks higher than the deal amount and forged "cashier's checks" presented when the bank is closed.
- If presented with a cashier's check, money order, or other equivalent, call the bank--at the number listed online, not a number the buyer provides to verify the check's validity.
- Be wary of buyers/sellers unwilling to conduct business at a police station's Safe Exchange Zone.
For more information about Safe Exchange Zones read the following article. https://apbweb.com/2022/06/safety-exchange-zones/.
For more information about personal safety online, check out these resources:
For additional information about Parsons Police Department's Safe Zone and to make recommendations please contact using https://www.parsonspd.com/contact
Safe Zone Point of Contact is:
Officer Mark L. Raney, D.B.A.
217 N. Central Ave' Parsons, KS 67357
Office Phone: 620-421-7060